Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ringing in 24 years

I turned a remarkable 24 years old, exactly 2 weeks ago. Phew... How did I get here? Some would say (me particularly), its actually just 23 again. Yes, denial set in! Was that a white hair???! Or was it gray? Or red from that one year way back?

Anyways, Im officially 24 and couldnt be happier about it. HONESTLY, Im sooooo over 23. Instantly, some things inside me clicked together. Financials. Insurance. 401K plan. Health. 2nd career. Getting the age thing wrong on the elliptical. And then I thought, I will enjoy today for what its worth... Endless cupcakes! And great friends, of course.

Dinner started at a new izakaya joint called Robataya. Brought to you by the same people who own Sakagura (who knew eggplant could be taken to a whole other level far beyond eggplant parmesan!), I had great hopes for this new start up, especially on the birthday. An izakaya can be roughly defined as a Japanese bar. Light snacks and small courses are accompanied by drinks, making it ideal for a relaxed night out after work.















Upon entering, it was the most amazing thing I laid my eyes on. Better than diamonds (in my eyes. Yes... Im that easy), these chefs, with long paddles, passed the food to the consumers.













Look, how happy she is to get her seaweed salad.













Super into their soups. What can I say. Plain ole' soup can even be king.

























Too happy over champagne.













I think everyone already knows this. More things should come on sticks. Especially, chicken meatball.













This dish was like... having green tea soup. It was strangely, addicting.













Yes... Money shot. Cupcakes galore. Sugar Sweet Sunshine marry me.

The environment and people proved to be better than the food. Cupcakes and champagne were enough to compensate for any downfalls. I had to give it up for their patience of our 3.5 hour dinner. Just wanted to be European for one night.

24... You have done me right. Not bad. Not bad, I say.

No comments: