Monday, October 12, 2009

Am I secretly Indian?

I have to admit. I pretty much eat anything. Im not shy about it. It flies, swims, crawls and shimmies... Im there. Im no Andrew Zimmern, but, when it comes down to it... Im not afraid to try new cuisines.

Im no expert in Indian food. Tikki masala, garam masala, basically all the masalas under the sun I knew about. Could that been the beginning and the end of Indian food in my book? I think not!

Enter my friend, Shivani. Praise the lord I met you girl! I promise to swap you equal knowledge on chinese food. And, it wont just be stir fried vegetables and kung pao anything.

From chikki to aloo, Ive been enlightened with a word of spices and aromatics that I cant sum up in a sentence. I just cant help myself. I think Im Indian.

As a result of this newfound fondness for Indian cuisine, Shivani and I started a little date night cook night. Let me introduce to you our attempt to be culinary masters: Tasty Thursdays.

On Tasty Thursdays, we cook whatever we like. And this Thursday, we chose Eggplant charchari, an Indian dish that neither of us were familiar with. And an Indian dish that required about a list of spices of scroll length (which most Indian dishes are of, giving it such a robust flavor profile) and two potatoes. Paired with Malaysian paratha, a flaky, layered bread used to dip in curries, daal and other liquidy substances, we were on our way to a good meal.



















Shivani and her paratha skills while, Im charring eggplant and potatoes on the right. Team effort at its best.



















Our meal comes together. Paired with a side of mint yogurt.

What I give to have some Malaysian paratha right now!



















And, thats how you do it on Thursdays. No television or boozy happy hour required.

No comments: