Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Duck Tales

Duck.

What thoughts come to your head when you hear that 4 letter word?
Some would think its a pretentious bird and that anyone with a right mind would curse such things as foie gras and duck fat fries. Why dont you just go back to the land of the French to make things easier.
Well, hush those heinous thoughts!
Im a lover of the bird.
There comes a time and a place where duck is always the food of choice.

You know what I mean.

Its one of those great back ups. Where you find yourself at a restaurant not knowing what to get after perusing through the whole menu about 3 times. Make it 4. You really are trying your hardest to find something. Then, the handy waiter/waitress comes over to save the day with the specials of the day.

"So, the house specials tonight are... Chicken blah blah blah."
"Boringggg..."
"Butternut squash soup..."
"Drabbbbbbb..." (Although I do love you, butternut. Im not turning my back on you. I promise)
And then finally, the answer you were looking for....
"We have a duck confit with..."
"Yes, say no more! The duck confit it is!"

My point is... duck is the poultry I just cant say no to. Its just not going to happen.

While I had no duck confit this weekend, I was happy enough to be served by my mom with a little homemade duck goodness. The duck Im talking about is the Peking duck, an all star in Chinese cuisine.

























Traditionally, the duck is sliced and served with thin cucumber strands, scallions, hoisin sauce all on a white, fluffly bun. Do I hear McDonalds Dollar menu???

If sandwiches could only be like this everyday. Lets keep dreaming. Maybe when the banh mi storm dies down. Give it 3 more years and Ill see this in the lunch box.


No comments: