Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pioneer of Paneer













That's right. I said it. Homemade paneer! Kudos to Shivani; my Indian recipes go-to person.

Paneer, a crumblier version of cheese curds, is a popular dish/snack/gift from the man above, that deserves much more spotlight. Easy to make. Fun to make. Easy to eat. Too fun to eat. Trust me. Too much fun too eat. I ate a handful without even realizing what was taking place or going on. 

With a simple ratio of milk and vinegar, you can be eating paneer day and night. Forget your other old, cheese friends. Manchego, Gouda, Asiago... Watch out. The paneer is coming to a grocery near you.

Boil up the whole milk (No cheese is cheese unless it full fat cheese! Don't fool yourselves ladies and gentlemen). Add vinegar. Let the separation begin and end. Drain out pot into cheesecloth. Let the remains sit. Sprinkle remains with cumin seed and black pepper. And that's the one-two step. 

I hear local dairy is a big deal these days. I think its time to go into the cheese making business. I've always looked good in those yellow, oversized cheese wedge hats.

No comments: