Monday, August 17, 2009

The Language of the Wonton

I think when my mother decided to buy wonton ingredients to be made at home, she had an ace card up her sleeve.

Dont get me wrong. My mother is an amazing cook, the definition of a futuristic vending machine. Able to dispense gourmet meals on demand.

But, when it came to wonton, her face spelled out something like this:
??\\\:-\????

Yes, she was made up of some question marks, slants and colons. She was always a woman of expression.

I knew all too well, when the enrollment process was calling for Wonton Making Day, she was in need for a girl who had ex-skills in the art crafting department. Eyes on me, I was that girl! Why did I have a knack for detail? Why did I ever show off those slender fingers that were dough sculpting ready, but when it boils down to it, really just good for typing fast on the iphone? Hook, line, sinker, I caved in... I mean, did you not hear wontons were at the finish line? My dear, wontons...

The ingredients:












The stuffing, adhering, twisting:












The cooking:

























The money shot:



















Maybe these hands actually do have some purpose! And, I thought it was all internet/technology related.

No comments: