Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Arepa; Single Handily The Best Sandwich of My Time. Scratch That. All Time.

This past weekend I had a chance to go to the Japan Society to meet Takayashi Miike (Japan's Quentin Tarantino but simpler, savvy-er and less of a foul mouth) with my girlfriend. Unfortunately, I was the only person in the room who did not see at least 10 Takayashi movies. Let's be honest... I didn't even see one. Believe me... I sank low in my seat. That man deserves more respect from me. After cracks, giggles and wine reception hour, our hunger grew and we ventured to the LES for some munchies.

And there it was... Staring us down with the mega line forming out the door. CARACAS AREPA BAR! FINALLY!

We held out the massive crowds and finally got seated at the bar. The menu was overwhelming, and had everything to offer for the vegetarian and the meat lover. Empanadas, fresh squeezed juices, desserts... We were only here for the arepa and only the arepa. Crispy and light on the outside, cheesy and flavorful on the inside... Please, arepa. Why aren't you outside in a truck after a night out at the bars? You definitely beat the taco in numerous categories.

We ordered the chorizo filled arepa and the guacamole and cheese arepa. Both, drop dead tasty.

































I'm officially hooked. You, everyone you know, and their mothers and sisters, we're going to get an arepa. I won't turn one down.

Of course following any meal, we have desserts. We hit up Butter Lane, a new do-it yourself type of cupcake shop in the hood. While I am fully committed in a relationship with Sugar Sweet Sunshine (go with the original), I had to see what Butter Lane had to offer. Before ordering the cupcakes, you had a chance to taste all the frosting toppings. I went with the banana cream and got this gem:















The verdict:
Still a Sugar Sweet Sunshine (SSS) Member. While Im all about organic ingredients (nonorganic is fine too!), the frosting was overly sweet and took away from the soft, airy banana nut cake. I could eat the bottom part any day (going against Jerry Seinfeld's golden muffin top rule), but the top has room for improvement. Maybe the other icings were better companions. I'm just SSS in heart.

No comments: